Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2014-RC4: Isabelle/jEdit action for C-hover

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014, René Neumann wrote:

Am 20.08.2014 14:50, schrieb Makarius:

I'm asking since while showing Isabelle/jEdit to others I often get
the question whether it wasn't possible to avoid using the mouse.

I wonder where this anti-mouse movement is coming from.  Nostalgic users
of vi?  Or bad mouse hardware?

Neither; it's increased productivity.

A mouse is an efficient tool, when I don't need the keyboard or resting one hand there is sufficient, like for example for browsing, gaming or others. But not for developing or writing in general.

I do use the mouse a lot in development, but maybe that's an instance of gaming, or maybe I am just old-fashioned (being socialized when a mouse was something very special).

If the reluctance to use the mouse is a general trend in "development" then current IDEs must have keyboard shortcuts for the tooltip idioms that we have. Maybe someone wants to look around and write a summary for the situation in Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ IDE, Visual Studio.