Re: [isabelle] Don’t Make Your Readers Scream

Dear Larry,

Am Dienstag, den 16.12.2014, 14:31 +0000 schrieb Lawrence Paulson:
> We are starting to see calls for papers, so I’ve decided to circulate a brief note offering advice on how to get your paper accepted:
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~lp15/Pages/Scream.html

Thanks a lot! I still miss the „great comprehensive manual to
academics“, so little bits of advice like this are very appreciated.

> Comments are also welcome.

as an academic beginner, it’s more question than comments. You write

> Avoid the royal “we”.

and I wonder how commonly accepted that is. I have been told to use "we"
even in single-author-papers (and by now it feels natural), but I would
be happy to use "I", I guess.

Also, I’m a bit worried about:

> Yes, even if you are below the page limit: that is not a failure, but
> an achievement.

Will surely no referee think „Oh, only 10 instead of 12 pages. That
can’t be as substantial as all those 12 pages papers where I can’t help
but assume that there is even more to their work than they talked
about“?

Or in other words: Can I risk staying below the page limit even in
papers of just average quality?

Greetings,
Joachim

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter