Re: [isabelle] Jedit and window managers

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Matthew Fernandez wrote:

Isabelle/jedit to discover my previous GUI show stoppers are gone. In particular, if you full screen jedit (F11) in a tiling window manager the cursor alignment issues also seem resolved.

I don't know which Isabelle version bump was the cure and I suspect it was just a JRE increment, but I just wanted to nudge anyone else in the same limbo to give Isabelle/jedit another try on the latest release.

Nothing of that is speficic to Isabelle/jEdit or jEdit. These are general problems of AWT/Swing versus X11 window managers, and major projects like Netbeans, IntelliJ, Minecraft have the same problems with 50% of Linux installations.

Oracle is doing evasive maneuvers occasionally, so whenever there is a change it is due to the JDK version. In Isabelle2013-2 that is jdk-7u40, which is generally a very good one: it works very well on Windows and Mac OS X (even with Retina), and quite reasonably on more than 50% of Linuxes.

Anybody who feels like helping Oracle to make things better can participate in the ongoing testing of jdk-8, see also http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/ea-jsp-142245.html

After installing it somewhere, the Isabelle settings environment needs to be informed about it, e.g. like this for Mac OS X (in $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings):

 ISABELLE_JDK_HOME="/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0.jdk/Contents/Home"

Many thanks to David Greenaway for causing me to re-evaluate and realise this.

Re-evaluation of Isabelle/jEdit is very important for every Isabelle release. Since the first public version in Isabelle2011-1 (October 2011), every following release step was so steep that I've got complaints from Isabelle/jEdit users that they have to learn so many new things.