Re: [isabelle] Unable to get document preparation system to work

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, James Lingard wrote:

I dived into the LaTeX sources, and it turns out that the problem was that I was using the "wrong" version of comment.sty. I was using the most recent version, version 3.7 (which dates from 2009). It seems that Isabelle requires version 3.6.

Just before the test, I had updated to recent MacTeX-2013 and its /usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/latex/comment/comment.sty is still at version 3.6.

Looking briefly at http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex2e/contrib/comment has the same 3.6 number in the blurb, but there is a brand-new version 3.7:

  comment.sty 	9666 	2014-01-23 07:36:21

Its inlined changelog says:

 Changes in 3.7
 % - only LaTeX support from now on
 % - code cleanup, and improvements on \specialcomment
 % - cleanup of the docs.

This means it cannot be used with isabelle.sty, because of that:

%plain TeX version of comment package -- much faster!
\let\isafmtname\fmtname\def\fmtname{plain}
\usepackage{comment}
\let\fmtname\isafmtname

If comment.sty 3.7 is actually better in latex mode now, it might be worth revisiting. But by default this is just a normal instance of "latex package version hell".