On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, Alfio Martini wrote:

And another thing worth noting, although already present in the 2013 release: When jumping to a file that is loaded as part of the loaded heap (e.g. Set), there is an error at the theory command: “Cannot update finished theory "Set"”. That makes sense to me, but I don’t plan to update the theory, I just want to navigate it. Currently, this prevents me from using Ctrl-Click on definitions in that file to navigate further.

I consider this a major drawback of previous Isabelle/jEdit releases.

It has been like that all the time. It is now more explicitly documented in the Isabelle/jEdit manual at least.