On Wed, 9 Jul 2014, Joachim Breitner wrote:

Dear Makarius,

Am Mittwoch, den 09.07.2014, 17:34 +0200 schrieb Makarius:
On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, Joachim Breitner wrote:

 * It is irritating that auto-completion does not work when there is a
   letter following the cursor. But maybe I just need to get used to
   that.

Did this change wrt. the last release?

yes: With 2013 I can put the cursor between a and b in abc and enter
\alp to get aαbc.With 2014, I get a\alpbc.

Now I understand what you mean. I will look at this again after next week at Vienna, just before the Isabelle2014-RC1 snapshot.