Finally found some time to look at the jedit app launcher, first just downloading stable and latest versions of jedit.

The results weren’t encouraging:
  - in neither, retina fonts worked
  - in stable, I got the message that jedit is damaged and should be moved to the trash
  - this could be fixed by relaxing security settings (so the problem was more a wrong error message)
  - the latest version, I could not get to run at all, just got JRE load error (in non-retina fonts)

I might have a look at other macos/java launchers out there, but in light of the above, we’re already pretty good if we stick with what we have.

Cheers,
Gerwin