On Tue, 22 Jul 2014, Joachim Breitner wrote:

a moment later something happens that seems to give focus to the main window, while the menu is still open. This means that I cannot click on the open menu any more (and hover has no effect) and I first have to close the menu and re-open it.

Minor, but may indicate another problem somewhere.

Such focus problems are always annoying, and there are 3 main possibilities / responsibilities for the cause: Java/Oracle, jEdit, Isabelle/jEdit.

What precisely is your desktop environment (presumably on Linux)?