Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 22.07.2014, 14:33 +0200 schrieb Makarius:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014, Joachim Breitner wrote:
>
> >> What precisely is your desktop environment (presumably on Linux)?
> >
> > ah, right: Linux with xmonad as the window manager.
>
> Xmonad is known to be specifically Java-unfriendly, which is
> understandable as a Haskell project.  Not every version of xmonad is the
> same, though, and there are concrete FAQ hints in
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Frequently_asked_questions#Problems_with_Java_applications.2C_Applet_java_console
>
> Quoting the first part of the text:
>
>    There are two classes of problems: blank, grey windows and windows that
>    can't be focused for keyboard input. The latter should be fixed in the
>    newest xmonad, so follow the instructions on the website for getting a
>    copy of the darcs repository and build it.
>
> Now it only depends on what they mean by "fixed" and "newest", and when
> that FAQ entry was actually written.

I have had that particular problem many years ago (and that is how old
that entry is), and not any more since then. This does of course not
imply that there isn’t any fishiness left.

If others can’t reproduce it I’ll try again with a different window
manager.

Greetings,
Joachim

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter