Re: [isabelle] A bug in chained proof mode

Dear Eddy,

this actually is the intended behavior, the reason of which is explained in:

G. Bauer and M. Wenzel. Calculational reasoning revisited - an
Isabelle/Isar experience. In R. J. Boulton and P. B. Jackson, editors,
Theorem Proving in Higher Order Logics: TPHOLs 2001, volume 2152 of
Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 2001.

According to the isar-ref manual (see Section 2.2.4 "Calculational reasoning") your example would translate into

  assume "e1 = e2"
  have "f e1 = f e2" ...
  note calculation = this (* "f e1 = fe2" *)
  have "f e2 = f e2" ...
  note calculation = <TRANS> [OF calculation this] (* "f e1 = f e2" *)
  from calculation
  have "f e1 = f e2"

where the crucial spot is <TRANS>. That is, the actual content of "calculation" depends on the chosen rule. And as explained in the above paper this is done by trying all declared (via [trans] and [sym]; those can be consulted via "print_trans_rules") lemmas while discarding results that are mere projections.

cheers

chris

Btw: *wispered* you should be careful when throwing around words like "bug" ;)