Re: [isabelle] lemma about finitely-branching finite sequences

Thanks very much for your reply Andreas.

I had actually tried the idea of using "well-foundedness of ↝ restricted to the states reachable from C", but couldn't make it work. I've just tried it again, encouraged by your suggestion, but I'm still struggling.

Specifically, I'm phrasing my lemma like this (↝* is an abbreviation I defined for the reflexive transitive closure of ↝):

> lemma
>   assumes "wf {(C2,C1). C ↝* C1 ∧ C1 ↝ C2}"
>   shows "finite (traces C)"

I use wf_induct:

> proof (rule wf_induct[OF assms])

That reduces the problem to the following (I've made the assumption slightly more readable):

>   fix C1
>   assume 1: "∀C2. C ↝* C1 ∧ C1 ↝ C2 ⟶ finite (traces C2)"
>   show "finite (traces C1)"

My specific problem is that before I can exploit fact "1", I need to show that C1 is indeed reachable from C. I simply don't have that fact anywhere!

Do you have any further tips that might help me? Many many thanks!

John