Re: [isabelle] Warning: Usage of deprecated font command

On Wed, 7 May 2014, Lars Hupel wrote:

The document "l2tabu" [0] is a general list of bad practices in LaTeX 2ε and has been around in one way or another for at least ten years (I remember consulting it heavily when learning LaTeX). Section 2.1.1 also advises against the use of "old-style" font selection for the reasons already mentioned in this thread. Interestingly enough, the authors of this document don't classify it as a deadly sin, but only as a regular sin.

[0] (German only, unfortunately) <ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/l2tabu/german/l2tabu.pdf>

I did not know this document yet, which is indeed quite interesting and funny, especially concerning the truly deadly sin of a4.sty and a4wide.sty.

The section 2.1.1 about the "old" font switches conforms to what I have learned about that 20 years ago, i.e. they are just "old", and only \it and \em bad in practice, because nobody wants to do italic correction manually.