On Tue, 13 May 2014, Tobias Nipkow wrote:

Maybe you just have the default ISABELLE_BUILD_JAVA_OPTIONS, which are meant to
work on most systems without any bad surprise about JVM startup failure due to
lack of address space.  (The situation is complicated by having to guess at
total heap space and individual thread stack space.)

To allow heavy-duty AFP maintenance, I use something like this in
$ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings:

  ISABELLE_BUILD_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx4096m -Xss1m"

or like this:

  ISABELLE_BUILD_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx4096m -Xss2m"

I currently have what you had sent me some time ago:

JEDIT_JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xms256m -Xmx4096m -Xss2m -Dactors.corePoolSize=8
-Dactors.enableForkJoin=false"

Is the above ISABELLE_BUILD_JAVA_OPTIONS independent to that, or does one imply the other?

Independent. When you experience "isabelle build" problems due to JVM resource shortage, you should re-adjust ISABELLE_BUILD_JAVA_OPTIONS, not JEDIT_JAVA_OPTIONS.

There are also other ways to do it, but for now we should leave it as this simplified model.