Re: [isabelle] replace "isabelle tty"

> You probably understand yourself more about the Scala compiler and its
> representation of Scala things on the JVM than I do.  My impression in
> the past 7 years was that these things do change between major releases
> of Scala, and direct Java access is not properly supported.

Indeed. The only guarantee is calling Java from Scala, and even that
breaks from time to time because of mismatches between their type systems.

> The Isabelle/Scala attitude towards that problem is to ask users to
> write their own little Scala module to access the PIDE infrastructure,
> and expose it to an existing Java program, if they really have to.  In
> some sense, Isabelle/jEdit does the same, because jEdit is just another
> Java program.

Exactly. If there are only a handful of different commands which need to
be supported, such a wrapper seems to be the best idea. But even then,
one needs to think about whether the interaction is supposed to be
asynchronous, because Java is lacking in that regard.

Lars