Re: [isabelle] Announcement: Brunhilde/Rhein 2015

On 01/04/15 16:46, Makarius wrote:
On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, David Cock wrote:

On 01/04/15 11:11, Joachim Breitner wrote:
 Dear Isabelle community,

 the linguistic roots of Logic lie in the German speaking countries,
starting with Frege and his Begriffsschrift, followed by GÃdel and many others, so we believe that German is the natural language of choice for
 creating and disseminating any formal works.

Ah yes, it all started with the well-known Germanic "Logos".

"Germanic" and "German" are quite different things. To understand the German tradition of philosophy and logic, you should watch this famous football match of 19th century Germany vs. antique Greece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5fGSBsfq8

    Makarius

I'm aware of the difference, as a speaker of a non-German Germanic language. I think it's nevertheless safe to assume that a Greek word does not have Germanic roots. Nice video, however.

David