Re: [isabelle] using Isabelle programmatically

> By the way, how is the communication between Scala and Isabelle/ML done?
> I assume it is also by having the Isabelle/ML process running in the
> background, and by sending and receiving strings via pipes.

That's almost correct. Communication between the processes works via
sockets these days, and the strings which are passed back and forth are
actually represent XML documents. Both Isabelle/Scala and Isabelle/ML
offer combinators for encoding (and decoding) arbitrary data to (and
from) XML.

The major advantage in using Isabelle/Scala is that someone else takes
care of implementing resource control, session management, thread
pooling, ... and offer a nice high-level API for that. Using this API is
much more robust as compared to forking out processes by hand,
especially for serious applications.

Cheers
Lars