Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2015-RC1: Rule instantiation in Eisbach

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I cannot get this to work at all. Your suggested pattern "!!P. PROP P ==> f u v" raises a type error. After several failed attempts, I am now stuck at the following where something really strange happens.

lemma "âz. A z â B"
apply(
 match concl in "f x y" for f x y â â
   match my_thms in R:"âx :: _ :: type. P x â f u v" for P u v â â
     print_fact R,
     print_fact R[of undefined],
     rule R[of undefined]
)

If I name the bound variable to be matched by a schematic, print_fact R outputs something like foo ?x ?y ?x â ?x â ?y whereas the matched rule is "foo x y z â z â y", i.e., it unifies x with z. If I rename the bound variable !!x to !!z, the rule stays in its general form. Still, the method still fails, because the variable instantiations are done in a strange order (not in the order in which they occur in the theorem).

I do not know the form of the assumption of my matched theorem in my real use case, I just know that there is a variable in the assumptions and that I want to instantiate the first one. How can I express this in Eisbach? I tried to play with "!!x :: _ :: type. PROP P x ==> PROP Q" but this did not match anything I tried.

Best,
Andreas