Re: [isabelle] Difficulties with "setsum" (Alfio Martini)

On 28/04/15 08:27, Makarius wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, Matthew Fernandez wrote:

That is normal on Linux/X11.  On Windows and Mac OS X, the rendering is

fine.  I usually use Mac OS X for presentation, and restrict Linux to private use at home, when
nobody is looking.

This is not really an Isabelle/jEdit issue, but rather that Java (or Java developers?) makes only
a token effort at making its applications look/behave like native applications.

The problem here is that there is no native UI framework on Linux.  Or do you mean Motif?  It is
still supported by Java/AWT/Swing, but unusable.

GTk is sometimes considered native, but it is merely one of many forks that make the platform a big
mess.  I do use the GTk look-and-feel of Java/Swing myself, because it does the GUI scaling almost
right -- this is essential for 4K displays.

I did not mean any specific framework, as I'm not even familiar with the latest Java UI options. I
meant that when you open a Java application, it is immediately obvious to you from the UI and
behaviour that it is a Java application.

You're right that I potentially muddied the waters by using "native" to mean GTK. I consider GTK
"native" on Gnome (+ Cinnamon, etc.). To clarify my comments, I wasn't meaning this as a criticism
of the Java platform. Applications from other ecosystems like KDE and Wine look equally out of place
in a GTK environment.