[isabelle] Contracting Abbreviations of Locale Definitions

Dear all,

Isabelle will not contract the abbreviations introduced for locale
definitions when the locale is interpreted through a morphism other than
the identity. This behavior is described in the following threads:

https://lists.cam.ac.uk/mailman/htdig/cl-isabelle-users/2011-September/msg00040.html
https://lists.cam.ac.uk/mailman/htdig/cl-isabelle-users/2012-January/msg00029.html

The workaround that is proposed in these threads is to introduce additional
abbreviations after having interpreted the locale. In my formalization,
this would result in so much boilerplate as to make the whole appproach
using locales unusable. Now I'm wondering why this behavior was introduced
in the first place. Since there is no problem with expanding these
abbreviations, why would there be one with contracting them?

It seems like the reason for the abbreviations not being contracted is that
they use the "internal" print mode. Unfortunately, I was unable to find the
place where the print mode is set on these abbreviations in order to do
more experiments on this. So, before spending more time on this, I wanted
to ask what the original reasons for this behavor were and if it might be
possible to enable contraction of these abbreviations.