Re: [isabelle] Contracting Abbreviations of Locale Definitions

Hi Andreas,

Good call on the overlapping abbreviations, I did not consider this case.
However, the conflict already arises with the current implementation.
Consider the following:

locale foo =
  fixes f :: "'a => 'a => bool"
  fixes g :: "'a => 'a => 'a => bool"
begin

  definition test where "test = f"
  sublocale f!: foo f "% x y z. g y z x" by this

end

This generates the following abbreviations (they end up in the Consts
record in this order):

f.test == foo.test f
f.f.test == foo.test f
test == foo.test f

Since 'test' only depends on the parameter f, which is interpreted under
the identity morphism (eta contraction seems to matter here, so this does
not happen with your original example), all of these abbreviations are set
up to be contracted before printing. In fact, 'test' is printed as 'f.test'
(presumably due to the order of the abbreviations in the Consts record).

Given that these contraction conflicts are already a problem as it is, I do
not think that it would make things significantly worse to allow
contraction of abbreviations introduced via other morphisms (barring other
problems like the one you discussed with Clemens Ballarin).