Re: [isabelle] Message output in Isabelle2014 and Isabelle2015

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015, Harry Butterworth wrote:

Remainder of this email wanders off topic...

At work and home, I switched to using 4K TVs for Isabelle/jEdit. I have one flat one and one curved one. The better of the two is the curved one - a 48" 4K SAMSUNG 48JU6800 (driven by a 9 series NVIDIA GTX @ 60Hz in UHD colour mode to get 4:4:4 chroma for pixel perfect text). The curve is definitely a good thing as the left and right edges seem much farther away on the flat one even though it is smaller at 40".

Both 4K TVs are very usable at normal monitor sitting distance and about the same pixel density as traditional monitors so text isn't tiny.

My next step after getting the big screen was to replace my core i7 920 with a (used) Xeon x5680 and overclock it to 4.7 GHz using a new Corsair H100i cooler and my existing ASUS Rampage II Gene motherboard and Seasonic M12D PSU.

I wouldn't call this off topic. It is always interesting to hear about working user scenarios.

The above sounds like a fairly good machine for the high-end gaming that interactive theorem proving is today :-)

On my modest 24" Dell 4K monitor (P2415Q) I actually encountered GUI scaling problems. Some of my findings are explained in the Isabelle/jEdit manual section 2.1.2 "Displays with very high resolution", but that is only a start on that topic. If there is further experience with high-resolution GUIs, it is worth a different thread on the mailing list.

The next jEdit release will cope with that better, but it is not yet available.