Re: [isabelle] jEdit problems

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015, Jason Dagit wrote:

I'm using Isabelle 2015 on OS X 10.10.3 and I'm having a few problems.

I will pick some items off the list below, although I foresee a rather entangled mailing list thread with so many different points under the same Subject head line.

First, if I leave jEdit running then when I come back to my computer I will
often find jEdit has crashed:
Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'JavaNativeException',
reason: 'java.lang.StackOverflowError'
terminating with uncaught exception of type JNFException
abort() called

That might be a generic JVM problem due to scarce resources. The defaults are made to ensure that the system comes up in most hardware configurations, but it is not so much for really big things. On Mac OS X, the Isabelle2015.app has an Info.plist with JVMOptions; you can carefully edit that to say something like:

  -Xms1024m -Xmx4096m -Xss4m

These options correspond to the normal java command-line. See the standard documentation by Oracle.

I upgraded to the latest JRE (1.8), but I think jEdit is still using 1.7?

We are talking about the Isabelle application here, which runs the jEdit text editor as outer shell. Everything is bundled, even the JDK. You should not need to change anything there. (It can be done in theory, but requires manual tinkering.)

I don't know a good way to tell so I'm basing that on what it says in the "About" screen in the jEdit menu. On the other hand, typing "java -version" at the command line returns this: java version "1.8.0" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-b132)

It just means the shell has a different idea about the default Java than Isabelle. On the command-line, you would have to use "isabelle java -version", where the "isabelle" executable is from the Isabelle distribution inside the .app directory. It also has an "isabelle jedit" command-line tool, but if you use that instead of the .app you need to provide JEDIT_JAVA_OPTIONS via $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings (which is a bash script and absent by default).