Re: [isabelle] jEdit problems

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Makarius <makarius at sketis.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Jun 2015, Jason Dagit wrote:
>>
>>  I'm using Isabelle 2015 on OS X 10.10.3 and I'm having a few problems.
>>>

>> I will pick some items off the list below, although I foresee a rather
>> entangled mailing list thread with so many different points under the same
>> Subject head line.
>>

>>  First, if I leave jEdit running then when I come back to my computer I
>>> will
>>> often find jEdit has crashed:
>>> Application Specific Information:
>>> *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'JavaNativeException',
>>> reason: 'java.lang.StackOverflowError'
>>> terminating with uncaught exception of type JNFException
>>> abort() called
>>>

>> That might be a generic JVM problem due to scarce resources.  The
>> defaults are made to ensure that the system comes up in most hardware
>> configurations, but it is not so much for really big things.  On Mac OS X,
>> the Isabelle2015.app has an Info.plist with JVMOptions; you can carefully
>> edit that to say something like:
>>
>>   -Xms1024m -Xmx4096m -Xss4m
>>
>> These options correspond to the normal java command-line.  See the
>> standard documentation by Oracle.
>

> Thanks. I've made this change, hopefully it will stop the crashes.

This didn't help. It still crashes. Given this and the other problems I'm
seeing, I've moved back to Isabelle2013-2 so that I can use emacs and proof
general. I feel like I gave jEdit a try, but it's too frustrating to try
simultaneously adapting to an unfamiliar language, unfamiliar/quirky
editor, AND to deal with frequent crashes / keybinding issues.