Re: [isabelle] [isabelle-dev] What is this 3 levels of lambda calculi?

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, Larry Paulson wrote:

I think your clue here is the phrase "type-theoretic parlanceâ, which is to say that people from that background may want to see ==> as a function type, for example, analogously to LF, which can be regarded as the type-theoretic analogue of Isabelle Pure.

Yes, this text in the "isar-ref" manual (section 2.1) and a slightly longer version in the "implementation" manual (chapter 2) emerged from what I've learned from people in Edinburgh, Cambridge, Nijmegen, and especially Stefan Berghofer in Munich around 2000. It is an attempt to explain things in a way that everybody understands, both strongly-dependent types and classic logicians.