[isabelle] Isabelle/jEdit deadlock on shutdown

On Thu, 7 May 2015, C. Diekmann wrote:

I can repeatedly produce a crash of jEdit.

This is what I'm doing:

1) Open two files
2) Make changes to the files (do NOT save them)
3) Close jEdit
 The "Unsaved Changes" box appears
4) Click "Select All"
5) Click "Save Selected"

Now jEdit doesn't respond anymore. If I started isabelle jedit from
the shell, I can terminate it with ctrl+c.

(I've changed the subject line, to help disentangling all these Isabelle2015-RC threads.)

The above is a GUI thread deadlock wrt. SideKick parsers. This classic oo architecture of jEdit makes it almost impossible to implement certain things correctly. It would be better to throw out all mutable state, threads and locks, but that is not realistic right now.

I guess that the same problem is behind other obscure deadlocks that were occasionally seen in the past few months on isabelle-dev.

I've reworked this now in https://bitbucket.org/isabelle_project/isabelle-release/commits/4f72b00d9952 so it should work better in the next release candidate.