Re: [isabelle] Let and commutative rewrite rules

On 08/05/2015 15:29, Andreas Lochbihler wrote:
Hi Tobias,

On 08/05/15 13:41, Tobias Nipkow wrote:
I like the elimination of atomic let bindings (and the elimination if there
are <= 1
occurrences of the bound variable), but not the rest of the current let_simp.
If possible,
I would relegate that to a special simproc that can be activated on demand.
These cases I like, too, but they are not part of Norbert's special case.

That is my point, I would like to separate out the rest of his code.

Tobias

A mechanism to make let-bindings in a goal available as assumptions (as in
HOL4) would be
nice, but that only seems to sense in combination with a structured proof that
can access
these assumption by some name.
I would already be very happy to float lets consistently outwards - if the
classical reasoner also knows what to do with them. At least, they would no
longer intervene with other rewrite rules as in "map f (let g = h a in map g
ys)", where the let prevents the simp rule "map f (map g xs) = map (f o g) xs"
from triggering.

I find these intervening control operators (let, if, case, ...) pretty annoying
- especially if the occur under lambdas where the splitter cannot extract them
automatically. But that's a different story.

Andreas