Re: [isabelle] Code generation for reverse sorting

Hi Christian,

Here are my thoughts about List.sort & friends:

a) The first problem with List.sort and friends is that they are defined in the type class linorder, although their definitions could be made as well in the type class ord. Three years ago (2ada2be850cb), I have moved all the operations for red-black trees (RBT) into the linorder type class, precisely because I wanted to use them with other ordering relations. Ideally, the same should be done for List.sort and friends.

For the time being, you can still avoid some of the overheads by using the foundational constant linorder.sort_key, which takes the order as an additional argument. So, you can pass in the dual order. With a single interpretation for the dual order, you should get all the theorems you need. You can even define an abbreviation for it:

interpretation dual!: linorder "op â" "op > :: _ :: linorder â _" by(rule dual_linorder)
abbreviation "rsort == linorder.sort_key op â (Îx. x)"

Unfortunately, code generation does not work out of the box, because the code setup has only been done for the type-class based instance. If List.sort was defined in the type class ord, one could simply re-declare the code equations (as I did for the RBT operations in my AFP entry Containers). Alternatively, you can prove that sort & friends are parametric (as Peter did for RBT operations in his AFP entry Collections) and exploit parametricity like he does, but my feeling is that this again requires unconditional equations, i.e., a definition in ord.

b) The second problem is that we want to implement List.sort with different algorithms during code generation. For linear orders, this is no problem, because the result is unique. However, if we pass in a non-linear order, the outcome might depend on the algorithm. Thus, we can only do program refinement for linear orders. In that view, even if we move List.sort to the type class ord, we still have problems, because we cannot prove the code equations for arbitrary ordering relations any more.

Ideally, we should separate the proving part from the code generation part. AFAICS, the following should work.

1. Move List.sort and friends to type class ord. For ease of use and compatibility, we can add sign constraints such that type inference infers the linorder sort constraints for List.sort.

2. Define a type 'a linorder of linear orders using typedef and an embedding

  linorder_of :: "'a :: linorder itself => 'a linorder"

3. Define operations for sorting lists that are parametrised with the order from the type 'a linorder. Prove equations like "List.sort_key == sort_key_impl TYPE('a)".

4. Adapt all the implementations for sorting such that they refine sort_key_impl rather than List.sort_key.

Apart from sorting, such a setup could be used for further improvements to the generated code. For example, one could refine the type 'a linorder to provide a comparator instead of a comparison operation.

I guess such a change requires quite a lot of work to be carried out on the whole repository. At the moment, I do not have the time to carry all this out, but if the issue is pressing for you, you might want to try it yourself. But before you start, we should also ask Florian on his opinion.

Best,
Andreas