Re: [isabelle] Code setup for Fraction_Field

Hi Florian and Manuel,

I have experimented a bit with a normalisation function to be used in the operations over fraction fields and had a look at Euclidean_Algorithm in Number_Theory.

1. I noticed that there are the type classes euclidean_ring and euclidean_ring_gcd. Most of the theorems about gcd which I need are in euclidean_ring_gcd, but not in euclidean_ring itself. Unfortunately, the instantiations for nat, int, etc. are only done for euclidean_ring, not for euclidean_ring_gcd. What are the plans for these type classes? Should I spend any effort on adding instances for euclidean_ring_gcd? Or will this become obsolete with the polishing that is still due?

2. I am no longer sure that an invariant-based approach is the optimal thing for fraction field. In the code equation for the arithmetic operation, I don't see any big opportunities to exploit the invariant that nominator and denominator are normalised in some unspecified form. Only the equality tests become simpler (as normal forms are unique and we thus save two multiplications). Instead, it seems much simpler to treat cancellation of common factors as an optimisation without logical significance. For example, we could just add a call to a simplification function before calls to the Fract constructor. The simplification function only has to return an element of the same equivalence class, so for nat and int, we could use a normalisation function based on Euclid's algorithm. For other types, the simplification function could also just be the identity. What do you think?

Best,
Andreas