Re: [isabelle] Code setup for Fraction_Field

> 1. I noticed that there are the type classes euclidean_ring and
> euclidean_ring_gcd. Most of the theorems about gcd which I need are in
> euclidean_ring_gcd, but not in euclidean_ring itself. Unfortunately,
> the instantiations for nat, int, etc. are only done for
> euclidean_ring, not for euclidean_ring_gcd. What are the plans for
> these type classes? Should I spend any effort on adding instances for
> euclidean_ring_gcd? Or will this become obsolete with the polishing
> that is still due?

euclidean_ring_gcd is nothing but euclidean_ring with the additional
assumption that gcd and Gcd (which are introduced in a syntactical
typeclass and therefore have no a priori properties associated with
them) are the same as the euclidean GCD (and the same for LCM).

So, in a sense, there is usually no proof work to be done to make
anything an instance of euclidean_ring_gcd if you already have
euclidean_ring; you can just define "gcd = gcd_eucl", "Gcd = Gcd_eucl"
and so on and you get the instance for free.

If there is already an existing definition of gcd, you have to prove its
equivalence to the Euclidean GCD etc., which you can do by showing that
it fulfils the defining properties of the GCD and that it returns a
normalised GCD, i.e. "1" and not "-1" for integers.

As for whether this will become obsolete: I don't think so. I don't
quite remember what Florian had planned for this theory.

Cheers,

Manuel