[isabelle] Still more for the AFP: the Edmonds-Karp Algorithm

We have yet another impressive contribution to the AFP: a formalisation of some classic algorithms for maximising flows in networks. Abstract below, the entry itself is at the URL https://www.isa-afp.org/entries/EdmondsKarp_Maxflow.shtml

Larry Paulson

Formalizing the Edmonds-Karp Algorithm

Peter Lammich and S. Reza Sefidgar

We present a formalization of the Ford-Fulkerson method for computing the maximum flow in a network. Our formal proof closely follows a standard textbook proof, and is accessible even without being an expert in Isabelle/HOL--- the interactive theorem prover used for the formalization. We then use stepwise refinement to obtain the Edmonds-Karp algorithm, and formally prove a bound on its complexity. Further refinement yields a verified implementation, whose execution time compares well to an unverified reference implementation in Java. This entry is based on our ITP-2016 paper with the same title.