Re: [isabelle] Issue with smt and linear arithmetic

This is a known problem in linear arithmetic but I haven't gotten around to tracking it down.

Tobias

On 13/08/2016 09:49, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
Dear Isabelle developers,

in my latest Isabelle formalization, I stumbled upon an
issue with the linear arithmetic method that the smt method
internally uses.

I am especially reporting this as this tool asks me to do
so with this warning:
Linear arithmetic should have refuted the assumptions.
Please inform Tobias Nipkow.

As it is unclear to me as an user, which tool is to `blame`,
I must leave it to you, Jasmin, Sascha and Tobias, to find the
details of tool interaction below.

The following theory fragment shows the issue I encountered
in Isabelle2016 (on Windows 10), but I could not test it
on a recent Isabelle developer version yet:

theory Issue imports Transcendental
begin

text â
First, here is the original formulation of the lemma as I encountered the issue.
Sledgehammer found the smt proof, but smt then fails.
lemma sin_diff_minus:
  assumes "0 â x" "x â y" "y â 2 * pi"
  shows "sin ((x - y) / 2) = - sin ((y - x) / 2)"
  apply (smt minus_divide_left sin_minus)
  oops

text â
In fact, the assumptions are not required for the proof
and the issue can be reproduced in a slightly smaller
lemma without the use of assumptions.

lemma sin_diff_minus:
  fixes x y :: real
  shows "sin ((x - y) / 2) = - sin ((y - x) / 2)"
  apply (smt minus_divide_left sin_minus)
  oops

text â
Fortunately, an alternative proof is quickly found.
The lemma is proved with a few simplification steps.

lemma sin_diff_minus:
  fixes x y :: real
  shows "sin ((x - y) / 2) = - sin ((y - x) / 2)"
by (simp only: sin_minus[symmetric] minus_divide_left minus_diff_eq)

end

--
Best regards,

Lukas