Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2016-1-RC1: How to Disable completion popup for quotes?

On 07/12/16 18:06, Florian Haftmann wrote:
>> I still strongly prefer " over \<open> and \<close>, because " is so
>> much easier to type.
>
> I prefer to input \<open> and \<close> just by the vanilla keyboard
> shortcuts of a typical Linux system with German keyboard layout (*):
> shift + alt gr + X and shift + alt gr + Y.  I am quite comfortable with
> this since I also prefer French quotes ÂÂ in written text and these are
> alt gr + Y and alt gr + X.  What remains confusing is that for
> cartouches the logic of opening and closing is reverted wrt. the
> position of Y and X on the keyboard.

The order is correct for a German keyboard, but wrong from the French
perspective. Isabelle uses the original French orientation, but without
extra space.

Another common confusion is to call the guillemets incorrectly
"guillemots", e.g. done in Adobe font encodings and TeX/LaTeX.

See also https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillemet