Re: [isabelle] Performance regression in 2016-1 with character strings.

On 23/12/16 13:22, Lawrence Paulson wrote:
> Usually there are a couple of weeksâ notice before the pre-release phase
> even startsâ couldnât at least some users choose that time to download
> the current development version to take a look at how it might affect
> their work?

The full schedule for the Isabelle2016-1 release is recorded here:
http://sketis.net/2016/release-candidates-for-isabelle2016-1

The informal snapshot Isabelle2016-1-RC0 was published 07-Oct-2016, i.e.
9.5 weeks before the final release (13-Dec-2016). RC0 is really just an
informal preview.

The point to hop on a new release for professional users is RC1, or RC2
at the latest. There can be a tradeoff: getting on the train earlier
could mean more work to figure out remaining problems of the release
candidate, getting on the train tool late could mean that some
inconvenience have to remain in the release.

My impression is that we've had again the second case several times:
notable problems were discovered too late and there was no realistic
change to revisit them.