Re: [isabelle] Isabelleʼs getsettings somehow broken

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Joachim Breitner wrote:

Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2016, 19:44 +0100 schrieb Makarius:
Maybe it is better to convince Debian maintainers to regain some
sanity?Â
The testing of dash 0.5.8 has happened only last week:Â
https://tracker.debian.org/news/744916

I filed a report atÂhttp://bugs.debian.org/814358

Thanks.

From what I've seen on the dash tracker and now a bit of Debian, this all
looks like a very hostile environment. 20 years ago, the OpenSource world was still idealistic and friendly.

What effectively happens here, is that people who take POSIX to the letter (dash) fight other people who embrace-and-extend it (bash).

As a long-term user of bash (and perl) I've always found their friendly unification beyond certain non-standard standards very useful, actually the only feasible way to make cross-platform applications.

Last time when someone killed /bin/kill, I switched to the internal kill of bash. Next time I will try harder to circumvent /bin/sh, if that is at all possible. (Not for Isabelle2016, though.)