Re: [isabelle] Isabelleʼs getsettings somehow broken

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Joachim Breitner wrote:

Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2016, 22:32 +0100 schrieb Makarius:
Right now I am trying to get a feel about the actual impact of
/bin/sh ->Â
/bin/dash in Linux distributions apart from Debian + Ubuntu.

How fast will Debian-testing move forward towards production releases? SoÂ
far my stable Ubuntu 15.10 looks still fine.

and it will stay this way, of course. The question is: When will the first Ubuntu release with dash-0.5.8 be released. Iâm not sure if Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial, the next LTS release) will still see updates from Debian, but Ubuntu 16.10 will very likely ship with dash-0.5.8.

I wonder how such moves from Debian to Ubuntu really work. Are there really imports from Debian-testing into a stable Ubuntu? There are plenty of websites about that, but it also requires time to study them. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseSchedule has DebianImportFreeze for 17-Feb-2016 -- whatever that means.

In the meantime we should collect for information about this last-minute problem-of-other-people.

I have already studied the openjdk-8 sources, and it seems that it does *not* use /bin/sh under normal circumstances -- that is only a fall-back. So patching Poly/ML could work, but anybody doing plain Unix programming with "system" functions (e.g. in perl) will fall again on his nose with a bad /bin/sh.