Re: [isabelle] Isabelleʼs getsettings somehow broken

On Thu, 11 Feb 2016, Makarius wrote:

 Only (in the context of the current issue) if this system programming
 happens in a process called by isabelle and itself calls isabelle
 again. Is that something we should worry about?

I did worry about it when consolidating the current setup in the past few years. There is a long history behind all this, trying to dodge problems on various DOS or Unix variants -- many of them no longer exist. The shell functions solve certain problems from the past.

Just the English of that could be misunderstood. It should be read as follows: There used to be long-standing problems in the past that could be solved nicely via shell functions, e.g. a static scope on unqualified "isabelle" executable in the environment.