Re: [isabelle] Isabelleʼs getsettings somehow broken

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Makarius wrote:

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Joachim Breitner wrote:

 Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2016, 19:44 +0100 schrieb Makarius:
>  Maybe it is better to convince Debian maintainers to regain some
>  sanity?Â
>  The testing of dash 0.5.8 has happened only last week:Â
>  https://tracker.debian.org/news/744916

 I filed a report atÂhttp://bugs.debian.org/814358

Thanks.

From what I've seen on the dash tracker and now a bit of Debian, this all
looks like a very hostile environment. 20 years ago, the OpenSource world was still idealistic and friendly.

What effectively happens here, is that people who take POSIX to the letter (dash) fight other people who embrace-and-extend it (bash).

After reading the official (unpatched) sources of bash-4.3 from https://www.gnu.org/software/bash I've found out that this is not a problem of dash vs. bash, but of Debian against itself and its users.

In the original GNU bash, a shell function "foo" is stored in the environment as "foo=() ...". This is well-formed in the sense of other shells, and bash-0.5.8 will let it through as expected.

The Debian version of bash decorates the name with a suffix "%%" that renders the name malformed, and thus it gets lost. See the patch http://sourcesdev.debian.net/patches/bash/4.3-14/bash43-027.diff

  This patch changes the encoding bash uses for exported functions to
  avoid clashes with shell variables and to avoid depending only on an
  environment variable's contents to determine whether or not to interpret
  it as a shell function.

Maybe you can attach this information in your own words to the above Debian tracker item. I did not manage to find access to it, and my impression is that Debian is a closed society anyway.