On Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Lars Hupel wrote:

1) Why has the Linux tarball been renamed from "linux" to "app"? I now
need a switch in libisabelle to find the correct file to download.

Formally, it is the following change:

changeset:   61002:8c52177fb436
user:        wenzelm
date:        Fri Aug 21 20:58:23 2015 +0200
files:       Admin/Release/build Admin/lib/Tools/makedist_bundle
clarified linux application bundle;

Informally it was just normal garbage collection: historically there were only odd tar.gz archives, later they emerged into proper application bundles, and from that perspectives the tar.gz could be seen as obsolete.

2) Could you please provide the Windows and OS X tarballs
   (Isabelle2016_windows.tar.gz and Isabelle2016_macos.tar.gz). These
   are required for libisabelle.

See this later change after Isabelle2016-RC0:

changeset:   62032:620d3f63ead1
tag:         tip
user:        wenzelm
date:        Fri Jan 01 19:52:00 2016 +0100
files:       Admin/lib/Tools/makedist_bundle
keep generic archive for all platforms -- required for Admin/Release/build_library;

I was also thinking of libisabelle, but not sure about its precise requirements. The general principle behind this to provide "headless" distribution bundles, not just "apps". So we shall keep that until there is yet another better idea.