On Fri, 1 Jan 2016, Lars Hupel wrote:

Informally it was just normal garbage collection: historically there were only odd tar.gz archives, later they emerged into proper application bundles, and from that perspectives the tar.gz could be seen as obsolete.

But if I'm reading this changeset right, it's still a tarball. I don't have a strong opinion here, but I think there should be at least some platform "identifier" in the file name (e.g. ".exe", ".dmg", "_linux.tar.gz").

With RC1, the usual tarballs will be back?

The tar balls are already back right now: http://isabelle.in.tum.de/website-Isabelle2016-RC0/dist

This is a manual retrofitting of Isabelle/e1a4d52d3d53 release procedure on Isabelle2016-RC0.

libisabelle is only able to unpack tarballs (not via a Unix-style "tar"
shell invocation, but via some pure JVM code).

This is a potential source of problems on Windows, also depending on details of the Java platform. Isabelle2016-RC0 already contains an updated Cygwin, with its magic init now in isabelle.Isabelle_System.init, instead of former isabelle.Main (the application entry).

So there is a new chance to make it all work on Windows. Note that there is now "windows" and "windows64".

BTW, this is now a specific discussion under the subject "Isabelle2016-RC0 available for testing". Last time we've had hundreds of mails like that, and it got difficult to follow topics.