Re: [isabelle] Dockable panels

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

A trivial suggestion: The State panel should be docked to the bottom and not to the right.

Can you provide reasons for that suggestion?

Historically, I used to have main output at the bottom over many years, but various side-conditions have changed. E.g. the 16x9 TV screen format provides a lot of unused space on the right (for proper text lines of max. 80-100 chars). More and more Isabelle/jEdit users have switched to that arrangement for Output in recent years (with slighly decreased font size). I've merely picked up this trends myself, and find it quite convenient.

In Isabelle2016-RC1 the State panel takes that slot by default, and Output at the bottom. Thus both panels can be open or closed indepedently.

In any case, rearrangement of dockables is trivial in jEdit, and persistent, too.

Section 3.2 and 3.3 in http://isabelle.in.tum.de/website-Isabelle2016-RC1/dist/Isabelle2016-RC1/doc/jedit.pdf provide a few more words on that topic, also some pictures: figure 3.3 and 3.4. (That is my ancient Mac Book Pro *without* 16x9 display.)