Re: [isabelle] Dockable panels

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

I am thinking of my laptop, which I use for most proofs. It is a 15 inch MacBook Pro. The screen is big enough for a substantial main window and a column on the right, perfect for panels such as Documentation, Sidekick, Theories and the ever-useful Timing.

With the latest models, the screen has very high resolution, but one canât read microscopic fonts. Laptops are still widely used, I think.

We are back to field one of the game.

The most widely used Laptops (for more than 3 years) have a 16x9 TV screen. The lines for that are far too wide for text, although people sometimes mistake the TV format to produce unreadable 250 characters per line.

When used properly, a 16x9 display consists of two full-width text displays side by side. This explains the position of the proof state panel (and other important "dynamic" panels like "Theories" or "Timing").

Nobody is forced to use that default. It is just for people who don't look closely by themselves.

Changing these things is rather trivial, and actually explained in the Isabelle/jEdit manual (with an explicit reference to the jEdit documentation).

Now we are back to the more fundamental question if anybody reads documentation at all. There should probably be also a video presentation.