Re: [isabelle] Dockable panels

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016, bnord wrote:

This doesn't mean that the documentation is bad or unnecessary, but we've all been educated to expect software (especially GUIs) to work intuitively and be able to get it to do what we want by try and error and only refer to the documentation if we really care and can't get it done otherwise, which, for most other software, leads to disappointment

I know what you mean.

I've actually read one (!) textbook about UI design: "About Face 3". It tells many such stories.

My own experience as someone hopping between the many UI frameworks of Linux, Windows, Mac OS X: Intuitive is what you know already. What you don't know is unintuitive.

Confronted with funny GUI elements like the dockables in jEdit, I would first try a single left click, a single right click, a double click, and watch carefully what happens. On Linux and Windows this quickly exposes the dockable control menu (right click) to move it into a different corner or let it float. So I guess it requires about 10 seconds to learn that trick.

On Mac OS X: What is a right click? (My own OS X preferences enable all 3 mouse buttons, but that is hardly a common default).

Here we see a bias of the jEdit developers (and Java AWT/Swing) to "standard" GUI behaviour of Windows (and imitations of the same in Linux).