Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2016-RC1 blue screen of death

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016, Gottfried Barrow wrote:

1) The 64-bit Isabelle2016-RC1 is extraordinarily bad on Windows 8.1. I got the blue screen of death two times, while running 'sledgehammer' more than about 30 seconds.

2) After Sledgehammer is run, Poly/ML still ends up running at 25%.

3) Clicking on 'Debugger panel', in the menu, freezes the PIDE every time, for both 32-bit and 64-bit.

The blue screens make it a very, very bad RC release. I know it's an RC, but it wasn't this bad with Isabelle2011. I never get blue screens of death, except with certain hardware drivers, or sometimes, but rarely, I get a bad crash with an OS thing, like a laptop waking back up.

A BSOD is definitely bad, but usually in the responsiblity of some big guys, like Microsoft or Oracle.

Can you provide some hints on your hardware? Maybe there is a way to guess around the situation.

The main difference of Isabelle2016-RC1 on win-32 vs. win-64 is the Java Runtime Environment, and its default heap parameters. You may change the latter in the file Isabelle2016-RC1.l4j -- these are standard java options as explained here http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html