Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2016-RC1 blue screen of death
- To: Gottfried Barrow <igbi at gmx.com>
- Subject: Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2016-RC1 blue screen of death
- From: Makarius <makarius at sketis.net>
- Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 20:19:59 +0100 (CET)
- Cc: isabelle-users at cl.cam.ac.uk
- In-reply-to: <56A01444.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <56A01444.email@example.com>
- User-agent: Alpine 2.00 (LNX 1167 2008-08-23)
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016, Gottfried Barrow wrote:
1) The 64-bit Isabelle2016-RC1 is extraordinarily bad on Windows 8.1. I got
the blue screen of death two times, while running 'sledgehammer' more than
about 30 seconds.
2) After Sledgehammer is run, Poly/ML still ends up running at 25%.
3) Clicking on 'Debugger panel', in the menu, freezes the PIDE every time,
for both 32-bit and 64-bit.
The blue screens make it a very, very bad RC release. I know it's an RC,
but it wasn't this bad with Isabelle2011. I never get blue screens of
death, except with certain hardware drivers, or sometimes, but rarely, I
get a bad crash with an OS thing, like a laptop waking back up.
A BSOD is definitely bad, but usually in the responsiblity of some big
guys, like Microsoft or Oracle.
Can you provide some hints on your hardware? Maybe there is a way to
guess around the situation.
The main difference of Isabelle2016-RC1 on win-32 vs. win-64 is the Java
Runtime Environment, and its default heap parameters. You may change the
latter in the file Isabelle2016-RC1.l4j -- these are standard java options
as explained here
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail (Mailman edition) and