Re: [isabelle] Plugin error with Isabelle-2016

On 25/07/16 09:35, Dominic Mulligan via Cl-isabelle-users wrote:

> Intermittently when starting Isabelle 2016 there is some failure
> starting isabelle.jedit.Plugin.  I get a popup containing the
> following information:
>
> /auto/homes/dpm36/LocalInstalls/Isabelle2016/src/Tools/jEdit/dist/jars/Isabelle-jEdit.jar:
> Cannot start: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: scala/Function0
> Try updating to a newer version of the plugin.

Does "intermittently" mean that the failure happens every time you start
Isabelle/jEdit, or only sometimes?

Technically, it means that the JVM cannot access certain jars, notably
the ones of Scala itself. Without that, Isabelle does not work at all.

> Strangely, after quitting and restarting Isabelle/jEdit after seeing
> this error, all mathematical symbols in the file I was originally
> trying to open when the error occurred are no longer rendered.

You need to make sure that files are loaded with the encoding
UTF-8-Isabelle (see the menu File / Reload with Encoding).

This encoding is provided by the Isabelle plugin of jEdit, so without
the plugin editor falls back on something else and makes that persistent
for next time.