Re: [isabelle] bash on Windows 10

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Buday Gergely wrote:

Microsoft brings bash to Windows 10:

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/30/be-very-afraid-hell-has-frozen-over-bash-is-coming-to-windows-10

Not just bash, but a bit more of Linux:

  More importantly than bringing the shell over to Windows, developers
  will now be able to write their .sh Bash scripts on Windows, as well (or
  use Emacs to edit their code). Microsoft noted that this will work
  through a new Linux subsystem in Windows 10 that Microsoft worked on
  with Canonical.

  âThe native availability of a full Ubuntu environment on Windows,
  without virtualization or emulation, is a milestone that defies
  convention and a gateway to fascinatingly unfamiliar territory,â
  Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth said in a statement today. âIn our
  journey to bring free software to the widest possible audience, this is
  not a moment we could have predicted. Nevertheless we are delighted to
  stand behind Ubuntu for Windows, committed to addressing the needs of
  Windows developers exploring Linux in this amazing new way, and excited
  at the possibilities heralded by this unexpected turn of events.â

MS has made similar statements occasionally in the past 30 years. Maybe this time it is for real.

Could this be used instead of cygwin for Isabelle?

Maybe in 5-10 years. What we need is a proper POSIX kill command, otherwise we could have used MinGW bash today -- it is a native Windows program. Poly/ML 5.6, which is used in Isabelle2016, is already native on Windows. Cygwin is mainly used for add-on tools, like the ATPs for Sledgehammer.