Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2016-1-RC3 available for testing: new define command

Dear Makarius,

I was replacing some 'def "f == %x. P x"' by the new 'define' command
and have two comments:

1) For 'definition' the constant name and the 'where' can be dropped, e.g.,

  definition "f = ..."

I do this a lot, because

  definition f where "f = ..."

seems a bit silly (I mostly do this whenever I deem the type of "f" to
be so obvious that I do not want to state it explicitly). I would like
to have the same option also for 'define'.

2) I would have guessed (but reading isar-ref showed me otherwise) that

  define f where "f x = P x"

is (almost) the same as

  define f where "f = (%x. P x)"

but for that I need

  define f where "f x = P x" for x

While this is consistent with 'have ... if ... for ...' it is different
from what 'definition' does, and for some reason I was expecting to
behave 'define' very similar to 'definition' (it might have been the
name ;)). Is there a specific reason that arguments of the left-hand
side of 'define' are not meta-all-quantified implicitly?

cheers

chris