Re: [isabelle] Function definition

With some extra thought, you can make these definitions work by
explicitly forcing "boring" to be size-preserving.

datatype t = N nat | A t | B t t

definition
    "size_constrain f v = (if size (f v) = size v then f v else v)"

lemma size_size_constrain[simp]:
    "size (size_constrain f v) = size v"
    by (simp add: size_constrain_def)

fun boring :: "(t => t) => t => t" where
    "boring f (N n) = N n"
| "boring f (A t) = A (size_constrain f (boring f t))"
| "boring f (B t1 t2) = B (size_constrain f (boring f t1))
(size_constrain f (boring f t2))"

lemma boring_size[simp]:
    "size (boring f t) = size t"
    by (induct t, simp_all)

lemma boring_fundef_cong[fundef_cong]:
    "â ât'. size t' < size t â f t' = f' t' â
      â boring f t = boring f' t"
    by (induct t, simp_all add: size_constrain_def)

fun interesting :: "nat => t => t" where
    "interesting k (N n) = N (n + k)"
| "interesting k (A t) = A (interesting (k + 1) t)"
| "interesting k t = boring (interesting k) t"

lemma interesting_size[simp]:
    "size (interesting k t) = size t"
    by (induct t arbitrary: k , simp_all)

lemma interesting_size_constrain[simp]:
    "size_constrain (interesting k) = interesting k"
    by (simp add: size_constrain_def fun_eq_iff)

That's a bit of a pain but it works with standard tools and gets you
roughly what you want.

It might also be possible to relax the size constraint slightly to allow
size reduction, for instance.

Cheers,
     Thomas.