Re: [isabelle] Isabelle2017-RC0: jEdit plugin insists all files for all sessions are present

On 22/08/17 16:16, Lars Hupel wrote:

>> Performance is one problem, and polluting the logical session name space
>> another (i.e. the important option "-a" becomes hardly usable).
>
> Is the latter really a problem? I thought this is what session groups
> are for, i.e. "build -g afp" instead of "build -D $AFP".

Not quite. The session groups are more like "tags" that mark certain
aspects of sessions. Directory structure is more rigid than that
(structurally more reliable for exhaustive testing).

In recent years, I have increasingly understood directories (with their
internal wiring of ROOTS and ROOT files) for composition of big
projects, via options like -d or -D or entries in $ISABELLE_HOME_USERS/ROOTS

This explains the general direction of the system implementation in the
past 5 years.