Re: [isabelle] antiquotations

Hi Makarius,

Thanks - what I really meant when I asked about documentation was, how do I find out how to get the goal as an ML value when I don't already know the answer to that question. I agree that if I know the answer then it's easy to find it in the canonical documentation.

In fact the preceding section in the Implementation manual is about the Proof structure, which also looks as though it contains useful stuff, except that one needs to get hold of the current proof state. How do you get the current proof state as an ML value?

Thanks for the pointer about apply tactic ..., yes it's possible to write a tactic which does nothing but print out the goal, and can use the goal as an ML value within the tactic, but when I tried to define a reference value in which to save the goal value I found I couldn't. Has the version of ML available to Isar users been jinxed, or something, so that reference variables don't work?

For your information, I don't want to recreate the look-and-feel of
(what you now, I think correctly, admit is a) different system called "Isabelle98". I just want to get stuff done. The sort of stuff (like finding out how to get hold of the current goal) that takes no time at all in HOL4 or Isabelle2005 (which is actually what I use when I'm building on previous work) and takes hours in your Isabelle 2017

Incidentally, on the subject of documentation - what about the Isabelle cookbook - why isn't it included as part of the Isabelle documentation (and kept up to date)?

Cheers,

Jeremy