Re: [isabelle] Threads tab in Monitor panel (Isabelle2018-RC0)

On 08/06/18 11:46, Eugene W. Stark wrote:
> I happened to be perusing the tabs in the Monitor panel in Isabelle2018-RC0
> and noticed that one of the values (threads total? displayed as some kind of
> red line on my system) has a bizarre value of about -375.  The auto-scaling
> adjusts for this, making the overall graph pretty useless.
>
> This is on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:
> Linux 4.4.0-124-generic #148-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 2 13:00:18 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz

I haven't seen anything like this myself, but I remember that you have
used Linux with special system debugging options before: that might
somehow confuse the built-in system statistics of the Poly/ML 5.7.1
runtime system (in Isabelle2017 that was Poly/ML 5.6).

This is how to access that data without anything of Isabelle/ML system
infrastructure getting in between:

  $ isabelle console -r
  Poly/ML> PolyML.Statistics.getLocalStats ();

You can also fork a few threads and then inspect the statistics again:

  Poly/ML> Thread.Thread.fork (fn () => OS.Process.sleep
(Time.fromSeconds 10), []);

If you feel like it, you may also rebuild the bundled Poly/ML version
from sources, and experiment with the resulting poly executable:

  $ cd Isabelle2018-RC0/contrib/polyml-5.7.1-5/src
  $ ./configure && make compiler && make compiler
  $ ./poly
  > PolyML.print_depth 100;
  > PolyML.Statistics.getLocalStats ();

Note that this gives you x86_64-linux by default: it can be compared
directly with Isabelle2018-RC0/contrib/polyml-5.7.1-5/x86_64-linux/poly
-- the Isabelle default is normally the x86-linux version, provided you
have the package lib32stdc++6 installed, but building it requires more
packages and options.

Anyway, if there is a deeper problem behind it, we should move this to
the Poly/ML mailing list.